Southwest Michigan is one of the best places to visit during the summer because there are so many ways to relax, play, and get outside. As summer rushes by, you may wonder “what’s the best way to enjoy it before it’s gone?” Here are 10 things to add to your “Last Days of Summer” checklist that you’ll want to experience before the season ends.
1. Attend the Berrien County Youth Fair, Aug. 13-18. This is the largest county fair in the Midwest and is a tradition for most families in Southwest Michigan. With spinning rides, cotton candy, elephant ears, corn dogs, cute farm animals and concerts this is something the whole family will love!
2. Stop by our farm stands. You’ll find the freshest produce at our farm stands and farm markets. Check out our harvest calendar to see what’s in season.
3. Watch a Movie in the park. Through August 25, every Saturday night at dusk you can watch a family movie on the big screen in Whirlpool Centennial Park. What’s cooler than bringing the whole family to watch a movie under the stars?
4. Spend a day on the water. Rent a kayak or stand up paddleboard (SUP) from Third Coast Paddling and explore the Paw Paw River. You’ll have a blast paddling with friends and family and get a great workout in too.
5. Plan an all day beach day. Soak up the sun at one of our beaches for a truly relaxing end to your summer.
6. Dine outdoors with a view. Take in the fresh air at one of our many restaurants with outdoor seating. If you’re looking for both great food and a view, check out the Bistro on the Boulevard, Clementine’s Too, The Buck Burgers & Brew, and The Lakehouse.
8. Tour the Makers Trail. The local breweries, wineries and distilleries are constantly releasing new beers, wines and cocktails. Many of them offer things like wine slushies, wine popsicles, and other unique items you can only find for a limited time during the summer.
10. Watch the sunset. Lake Michigan sunsets can’t be beat. Make sure you get in one last glimpse from the beach, pier, boat or restaurant. The perfect way to end your summer.