West Michigan Pike
The West Michigan Pike byway was added to the Michigan Department of Transportation’s collection of Pure Michigan Byways™ in 2016 based on its intrinsic historic, cultural, recreational, and scenic values. The newly-designated byway, like all Pure Michigan Byways, follows the state’s trunkline system – I-94, I-196/US 31, US 31 and BR 31 – closely mirroring the historic route of the West Michigan Pike and allowing easy access to the Pike communities.
Begin on I-94 E at the Michigan State Line
1. Head northeast on I-94 E, go 26.7 mi.
2. Take Exit 27 for Michigan 63 toward Niles Ave, go 0.3 mi.
3. Turn left onto M-63 N/Niles Rd., continue to follow M-63 N, go 14.7 mi.
4. Turn left to merge onto I-196 N/US-31 N toward Holland, go 10.9 mi.
5. Take Exit 18 for M-140 toward Michigan 43/Bangor, go 0.2 mi.
6. Turn right onto I-196BUS/M-140 N, continue to follow I-196BUS, go 2.7 mi.
7. Turn right onto Phoenix Rd., go 1.0 mi.
8. Take the ramp onto I-196 N/US-31 N, go 24.4 mi.
9. Take Exit 44 on the left for Interstate 196 Business/U.S. 31 toward Holland/Muskegon, go 1.2 mi.
10. Continue onto I-196BUS E/US-31 N, continue to follow
US-31 N, go 32.5 mi.
11. Take Exit 110B for US-31 BUS toward Downtown/Muskegon, go 0.2 mi.
12. Continue onto US-31 BUS N/Seaway Dr., go 5.6 mi.
14. Continue onto US-31 BUS N/Moses J. Jones Pkwy., go 1.9 mi.
15. Keep left at the fork, follow signs for US-31 N and merge
onto US-31 N, go 13.0 mi.
16. Take the US-31 BUS exit toward Whitehall /Montague, go 0.1 mi.
17. Turn right onto US-31 BUS N (signs for Whitehall /Montague),
go 1.9 mi.
18. Continue straight onto W. Colby St., go 292 ft.
19. Turn right onto Lake St., go 436 ft.
20. Turn left onto Thompson St., go 0.3 mi.
21. Continue onto Dowling St., go 0.2 mi.
22. Turn right onto US-31 BUS N/Water St, continue to follow US-31 BUS N, go 2.0 mi.
23. Turn right to stay on US-31 BUS N, go 0.5 mi.
24. Turn left to merge onto US-31 N, go 23.0 mi.
25. Take Exit 154 for US-31 BUS/Monroe Rd toward
Pentwater, go 0.5 mi.
26. Turn left onto US-31 BUS N/E Monroe Rd., continue to
follow US-31 BUS N, go 7.3 mi.
27. Turn left to merge onto US-31 N, go 10.8 mi.
28. Take exit 170B on the left for US 10 W toward Ludington, go 0.1 mi.
Total Proposed Byway Length: 184 miles.
Take a Drive on the West Michigan Pike
Take in the most beautiful beaches and picturesque towns along Lake Michigan. Tag us or use #mibeachtowns to give us permission to reshare.